Saturday, November 03, 2007

Joyeux Noel


Dried Apricots & apples.
Almonds and sunflower seeds.
Beans.
Tuna.
Bread.
Cheese.
Grapes.
Applesauce in individually sealed packages.
Water.
Milk.
Candles.
Batteries.
Flashlight.

Here we go again. Post-tropical storm Noel is due to arrive sometime tonight, packing hurricane strength winds and bringing with it what meteorologists are calling "a solid wall of rain."

This time, I won't be suffering the cheap, scented dollar store candles - the only ones left in stock by the time the stores finally opened after Hurricane Juan. Since Juan, I never have less than 500 tea lights (safe candles) and two dozen votive candles on hand. And a flashlight.

This time, I won't be stuck, if the power goes for days and days, eating the only dried fruit and nuts I could find days after the hurricane: peanuts and prunes. Usually when I tell people that's what I bought (because dried fruit and nuts are nutritious and don't spoil), they start laughing. I might as well have taken up a steady diet of Ex-lax. I was unwashed, my sinuses were suffering near terminal damage from inhaling cheap candle perfume, but I was, by god, regular.

Waiting for the bus this morning, the sky is heavy and sullen. The air is wet and cold - but the temperature will climb considerably today - and then plummet again after the hurricane passes through. Flocks of birds wheel wildly in the sky. When the wind begins, my cat will start to tear through the house, unable to contain the energy he feels from the change of atmosphere.
As for me? I'll haul out the duvet and hope that the power isn't gone for long. It will be 8C the day after Noel. That's around 45 F. Brrrr.

Wish us luck, folks?

7 comments:

beadbabe49 said...

Good Luck!

Lots of cat food on hand?

(a little can of sterno or two and you could have hot beans!)

Cate said...

Keep the updates coming, please. I need to know how you are.

I hope that your power and water remain on.

What, no chocolate?

Yes... catfood is very important. Remember, your cat will eat you given 1/2 a chance.

Anonymous said...

Hope you and the furball are having a cozy night!

Zhoen said...

And water bottles, of course. Batteries and flashlight, candles.

Teri said...

Yes, keep us updated!
xo

phlegmfatale said...

That's funny, because I was going to say "at least you'll stay regular!"

I'll be sending warm, dry thoughts your way, honey. Take care!

oh - fyi - my grandpa's music is up on my Monday post. I hope you can stop by and hear it.

herhimnbryn said...

Batten down the hatches lj.Keep safe, the pair of you.